Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Let us introduce ourselves properly...

When we first started our blog, it was really for our family to see what we had gotten ourselves into. We started to see a trickle of new faces + names in replies, and when we looked at Google analytics, we were really surprised at how many vistors we got on a daily basis. (Hello!) So this post can be ignored by Mom + Dad, and is for those that are just getting to know us.

us

So here is our story in brief...

The two of us met in High School and became best friends. Dating followed that, as well as countless breakups (um, hello - we were teenagers!). It was when we had both finished university that we reconnected seriously, and engagement and marriage followed shortly thereafter. We got married in 2004, and bought our first house in January of 2008.

us2
(Above, our hilarious wedding mishaps were written about in the North Toronto Post)

So, a little more about us as people. :)

Aubrey is a Journalist who produces news for CBC. At home he's the master of organization, budgets, and getting things done. He has an insane ability to just figure things out. 90% of the projects on our blog wouldn't happen without Aubrey. (The painting projects, are ALL mine) :)

I run my own Design & Stationery studio and I'm pretty much the one behind the decorating, designs, and blowing the budget that Aubrey sets out. As well as running the stationery studio, I do creative work for select corporate clients on the side, dabble in interior decorating and I also run our blog, which is a nice little hobby on the side.

The cat that you see is MakMak - (or Makita) she is named after the line of power tools. She was found on a Habitat for Humanity Build that Aubrey was volounteering at 5 years ago and he adopted her for me, so I had a little friend when I worked.

Although we both grew up in Lawrence Park area of Toronto, we bought our first house is in the Upper Beach area as we fell in love with the street, how close we were to a Starbucks (for Lindsay) and accessibility to downtown for Aubrey.

beach
(A photo I took on one of our little walks to the boardwalk)

We're walking distance to the boardwalk and beautiful beach area. It's still a hike to get back up (all uphill!) It's nice to think that we can walk down. The walk is beautiful, the architecture in the area is sometimes breathtaking.

Although we found a few houses in our old neighbourhood that we loved, it was beginning to get out of our price range, knowing that we needed more space for a studio space for me. I was on the verge of needing help in the business, and we needed a space that would accomadate a team member joining my company. Moving East proved to still allow us city living, but with more property.

We still sometimes miss the familiarity of our old neighbourhood, but have met some amazing new neighbours that have welcomed us. Our house is a classic Semi-Detached, and this is our blog, about our home renos. :)

We hope you enjoy!

Update - May 29th, 2010 - We had a baby!!

oscar 009

We welcomed our son Oscar into our lives on May 29th, 2010. Yippeee!

21 comments :

Katie said...

thanks for the introduction, it's nice to know who's out there writing these blogs and renovating. i've been enjoying your blog, can't wait to see what you do next!

Lindsay said...

Hi Katie! I'm so glad you stopped by the blog! (Sometimes I blab on a fair bit so it's nice to know people enjoy the blog posts) :-)

Karen said...

Thank you for the introduction! It's nice to see who the people are behind the blog. Keep up the great posts. I read your blog every morning with my cup of coffee. :)

cousin Deb said...

Thanks for letting us meet you!

Anonymous said...

You two are super cute!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story, and your renovation trials and tribulations. I'm loving your basement makeover, it's inspiring!

VidaModa said...

Thanks for the introduction, I agree it's nice to get to know all of the writer's of the great blogs I visit daily!

BTW, you two make a lovely couple!

Anonymous said...

you guys are too cute! i have a question, i saw the colette bed in you me and dupree and just fell in love with it! i had no idea the store came to toronto, what color fabric is your colette bed? because i also want the colette bed, the exact same one in the movie, but i cant tell if it is erin "natural" or "alabaster", do you know? what color is your colette bed? please let me know!!!! my email is nisha_560@hotmail.com.

Lindsay said...

Anonymous - Hopefully you got my reply! I'm 99% sure it was the Erin fabric, but go into the store if you can, as they have fabric swatches you can take home. I ordered my sample via their website before they were in Toronto. ;)

kabra* said...

Im so glad to meet you! I found your blog and love love love it! Im new to the blog world and couldnt find an email address to privately email you-sorry:) Im kabra and just started blogging and wanted to introduce myself to you and invite you to come visit my blog (and hopefully u find it fun enough to follow)
www.allthingseyelove.blogspot.com
hope to hear from you!
kabra

Lindsay said...

Kabra! Thank you so much for stopping by (and oh-my-god it took me forever to reply). ACK!

I've been enjoying reading your blog!So much fun!
Thank you for popping by!

Cait said...

your blog is so inspirational!! and that bed...breathtaking!! can't wait to see what you do next :)

Lindsay said...

Cait...Thank you!!! :)

Saara @ GEORGE Interior Design said...

Hi there! I just found your blog today and absolutely LOVE it! I'm a Torontonian & interior designer who has been living in LA for the last 5 years, and of course I miss TO so much! I love reading your posts and feeling like I'm at home! Thanks for such great reads...
ps. your son is a cutie, congrats!

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

I just found your blog today and I am so enjoying it. Our first house was in the Upper Beach, between Gerrard, Kingston, Woodbine and Main, and we just loved it. I also worked at a flower shop on Queen, great to walk downhill to work, not so great coming home uphill, lol. Looking forward to future posts.

Kate said...

Hi Lindsay,
I know you follow Grace over at Design Sponge, but in case you missed this, I think she needs to know about your nursery :)

http://www.designspongeonline.com/2010/07/sneak-peek-best-of-nurseries.html

Anonymous said...

I am inspired! Just moved into the same area and facing renovating challenges. I am trying to incorporate a home office and room for my two amazing boys that are here part time, while they finish University. I am determined to do this alone....without paying for contractors. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi there - I stumbled across your blog a few days ago and wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your entries. I'm also a Torontonian, and I googled your blog again today at work to read over some of the other entries (and also to save it in my favourites folder!). Your projects have turned out beautifully so far...keep up the great work!

Maria Valdivieso-Pakozdi said...

I got linked to your blog through DesignSponge and I love it! I am from Toronto and a newlywed and your house is truly and inspiration.

ps. Little Oscar is the most adorable baby ever!

Anonymous said...

Someone necessarily assist to make seriously posts I'd state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual publish amazing. Great process!

Have a look at my blog :: safe diets
My webpage :: safe diets

Anonymous said...

Howdy! You some form of knowledgeable? Great message.

Are you able to tell me learn how to subscribe your weblog?


Here is my page :: how to increase chances of getting pregnant

Post a Comment

HOWDY! Comments on this blog have been disabled as we've moved blogs.
To comment on this blog post, simply look at the web address of this post and select http://aubreyandlindsay.blogspot.ca/ and delete it and replace it with www.lindsaystephenson.com/blog/ and you will be brought to the exact same post, over on our new site - where you can comment and we'll reply!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.