Sunday, March 28, 2010

Here we go again. Another design mistake.

It's time for a confession.

For long time readers you will have seen our Kitchen Bench project that we did out of Ikea Cabinets. I love our Bench. If you recall, the fabric we chose was inspired by my parents kitchen bench (shown below.)

inspired
(Above, my parents kitchen bench)

First, a little background - I love my parents house, and I love my parents taste. They house is comfortable, welcoming, inspired, and is absolutely gorgeous. 90% of the the projects in our house happened after we consulted Mom and Dad. You see, from the flooring in our house, to how tile is laid, and even projects yet to be seen, 99% of our projects have been run by the Parental units before we jump in. We love their taste, and trust their opinions.

Now that you understand my love of their house, you can now understand that it was an natural choice to pick a fabric for our kitchen bench that was almost identical to theirs. So, what's the problem?

bench
(Above, our kitchen bench)

It isn't me. :( Ok. I actually hate how it looks in our house. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but it's the colours in my house that just don't work. And it pains me to write this because I love the fabric in their house. And add salt to the wound, Mom took the time to sew me the bench cushions. So double pangs of guilt over here.

Tonight (even though I'm posting this early in the morning on Monday) at our Sunday night dinner, I finally confessed to my Mom that the fabric just wasn't working. And let me tell you, it's taken me months to get the courage to tell her I made a mistake. Thankfully everyone laughed hysterically when I confessed I wanted a neutral. (My love of white, and linen tones is a butt of many jokes) So, the outcome was that she thankfully wasn't offended, but in all likely hood she thinks I'm nuts. She kindly offered to make me a new bench cushion cover (as long as I don't pick white).

Now that the confession is out of the way, and I've gotten her blessing to pick a new fabric, I feel a weight lifted off my shoulders. Part of this process of me confessing my sins to my Mom was trying to grasp what went wrong. Here's what I concluded.

(1) First; I assumed that since the fabric worked for their house, I thought it would instantly work in our house. I thought it would transform our kitchen. Mistake. We have two different houses. I essentially forgot about how the rest of our house doesn't match this one particular look.

(2) Second; I was desperate to get colour into the room and I put too much faith in the kitchen bench fabric being THE solution to the kitchen.

(3) Third, and the most important mistake was that I failed to do was look at my inspirational photos and see a common denominator in the pictures I've loved. You see, none of my inspirational photos have the colours of red/pinks in them. *banging head on desk*

Here are some general pictures of colours in rooms that I adore. And if you notice, most of the colours are on the cooler side of things. Blue. Greens. Linen. White. With maybe some hits of oranges/reds. But the overall base of the rooms are definitely neutrals.

Living Room (4)
Love those pillows. Mixing & matching different patterns + colours on the bench would likely be more my style.

angie_hranowsky_living_room_dining_room_all_in_one
This is one of my favourite living rooms for the neutral base, but the punches of colour in the lilac and oranges in the pillows.

LCY_livingroom2zz
Again, neutral base to the room, but the soft palette of the blues and greys. LOVE.

Artwork (14)
Linen couch. Not child friendly, but oh so beautiful with the hits of colour in the pillows.

bagleymischka_elledecor12
This one is slightly different, but I'm always attracted to this look. I feel it's mature, comfortable and classic.

So...what's next?

This week, we're going to go look for new fabrics for the bench. Fabric adds up financially, especially when you're making an 8 foot bench. But thankfully I have a husband that realizes that I would go nutty if I didn't fix my mistake.

I'm pretty thankful to have an understanding Mom that can roll her eyes at me, think I'm nuts, but still offer to sew a new bench cusion cover.

You probably think I'm nuts. And I tend to agree with you. But life would be boring if we didn't have some crazies like me to spice it up. :)

22 comments :

Abby said...

I think this happens to the majority of us from time to time. It's so easy to get distracted by something you love. That's how I have wound up with such a mish-mash of things. Now I'm trying desperately to work them in, get rid of things that don't work, and find new things that do.

Glad your Mum was so understanding! Mum's are good like that :)

Abby

Greg said...

Great work with flooringcombination its really inspirational.

Kristin said...

I don't think you nuts. Sometimes things like this just happen. I does suck because it cost money to fix but in the long run YOU need to be happy with your home and that is worth almost anything in my opinion. :) Good luck fabric hunting.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I've been there! I'm actually struggling with my bed right now. It's a beautiful and well made piece, but I don't think it is my style. In the end, it's about loving the space that you're in!

Mrs. Chic said...

I think it takes so much guts to say out loud, it's not working for me (after a re-do) and then go head with new plans to make it yours....nuetral colors with fun interchangeable pillows would be perfect!

Laurie - Little Blue Chairs said...

Thank you for sharing your "mistake". We have all been there and the hardest part is saying it out loud.

Sounds like you have a great support system. :)

JacciM said...

Amen. Amen! AMEN! :) You know I'm all about neutral rooms, too. Not because I'm scared of color or because I don't like color, but because I **love** color and I need that neutral background so that I can play with new colors often and without spending big bucks on a total room redo. Good for you taking the time to figure out what went wrong in your decision-making and yay for both you and your mom for being honest and loving :)

Moms are great.

~Jacci

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

it happens to everyone ... don't go nuts over it, just re-do.

It's complimentary to your parents that you wanted to re-create their home in yours .... but you really have your own style. Part of the appeal of their kitchen is that it IS their kitchen ... it's that return to the comfort of your childhood home. You can't duplicate that ... you visit!

Lucy said...

I'm quite new to the blog, so hello!

I don't think you're mad at all. I admire my mum's taste too, and I was kicking myself for making mistakes, but she pointed out to me that her house is the result of years, and she has made lots of mistakes that have had to go back or be donated.

Ann said...

Just a thought: Change the color on the chairs first.... maybe if you choose a neutral with a hint of blue in it(is it a bit of blue I see peeking out of the stripes on the bench?) it may, just may, throw the equation over to the cooler side. Try it first before you rip out and start over. Check out this red/with cool blue pic over at my blog:http://housefinally.blogspot.com/2010/04/inspiration-rooms-revisited.html just scroll donw to the bedroom....

Anonymous said...

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
I've read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

Feel free to surf to my site; diets that work for women

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add
to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

my web site - wastage
Also see my web site: shoeshine

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your site?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could
a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

my homepage: wherefores

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

My web site: taylors Tree

Anonymous said...

Excellent site you have here but I was wanting
to know if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here?
I'd really love to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

Also visit my page ... traka

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long)
so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips for newbie blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate
it.

Here is my site :: stump

Anonymous said...

Doh! I was domain searching at namecheap.com and went to type in the domain name:
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4606682639023284446&postID=1912720755575756552
and guess who already had it? You did! haha j/k.
I was about to buy this domain name but realized it had been taken so I figured I'd come check it out. Wonderful blog!

Take a look at my blog post ... vaga

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout of your blog?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Feel free to surf to my site ... http://bitmarks.beep.com

Anonymous said...

Hey there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Look into my web page ... trake
my web page :: Http://Www.talentmayhem.com/blog/24907/using-shrink-wrap-machines-to-For-printed-shrink-wrap-Labels/

Anonymous said...

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment
but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!



Feel free to visit my website - data
Also see my webpage - http://wordsystem.posterous.com

Anonymous said...

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on numerous websites for
about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

my blog: Advokati u zenici

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect
against hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
Any tips?

Also visit my homepage advokati ()

Post a Comment

HOWDY! Comments on this blog have been disabled as we've moved blogs.
To comment on this blog post, simply look at the web address of this post and select http://aubreyandlindsay.blogspot.ca/ and delete it and replace it with www.lindsaystephenson.com/blog/ and you will be brought to the exact same post, over on our new site - where you can comment and we'll reply!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.