Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Counter Decisions, A world of stone...


I went looking for counter tops yesterday. I threw myself into the world of stone (figuratively, not literally). I went armed with the things that I need most. My Mom and my camera. In a sea of granite, quartz, limestone and marble I narrowed it down to one, which has always been my love - although I worry that it's a bad decision.


So jumping back a bit - I feel like we're in a bit of a standstill with the kitchen which is really self imposed because I've been just so busy. Being our own contractor, it falls on us to line everything up - which means a lot of planning, and a lot of leg work before anything happens. But while all that unravels, I figured I could tackle some things like counter tops and backsplash. But where do you start? I feel sometimes a little lost not knowing what to do. I decided to head to Olympia Tile in Toronto, with my Mom, to throw myself into the world of tiles to get my feet wet. It's ok doing that, knowing that you don't need to pick anything but to just test the waters.

The three counters styles I narrowed in on were Quartz, Granite and Marble. Although I LOVE black counters - it doesn't work for our house. Maybe house #2. So for this house, I know we need a light counter.
Quartz Counter Top - very solid in colour
We started off at Quartz. I like the look but they are somewhat flat in colour. It could come off very modern, which is, very nice. This image is a kitchen I love, that has quartz. But I think it looks good because of the colour of the cabinets. This kind of counter is actually more expensive than Marble or some granites.  

Granite looks most like *stone*
Next I looked at Granite [above] which I was hoping to like because I've heard that it is better than Marble but here is the thing - you won't find lighter colours (whites/greys) in Granite. I had no idea. They were nice, but none jumped out as perfect. But if I had it in my house I would I'm sure, quite like it. They just didn't make my heart go pitter patter. Next up was... 

Heaven. Carrera Marble. Love. 
Marble. Honestly, I fell in love. And the price point is actually less than Quartz and even in some of the cases Granite. But it stains - really easily I've heard. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if it *does* stain, can I have someone in to help.

What do you have? Here is the thing. I'm a very clean person. I leave little out on the counters. We use a cutting board anyways, so I wouldn't be cutting things on the counter. But maybe I'm being super silly and impracticle? I feel like I'm no further along than I was before going out. :(

2 comments:

Tim said...

I love marble too but shy away from it because I know I wouldn't be able to keeP it "stainless" and no one wants to buy someone else's patina. That was when I have my resell cap on. But if you are planning to stay in your home for a long time Lindsay, go for what you love!

I selected Caesar stone instead and have to say I LOVE it! It is so forgiving and 4 years in and not a stain or scratch in sight!

So Lindsay, this is Olympia tile you checked out and they have Slabs of countertop materials too? I always thought they only do tiles.

Anonymous said...

I drop a comment each time I like a post on a website or I have something to valuable
to contribute to the discussion. It's caused by the passion displayed in the article I looked at. And on this article "Counter Decisions, A world of stone...". I was excited enough to drop a commenta response :-) I do have a few questions for you if you usually do not mind. Is it only me or do a few of these comments appear as if they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing on other places, I'd like to follow you.

Could you list every one of your community pages like your Facebook
page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
My blog post :: http://sexy-scifi.com/drivein/read_blog/92318/organic-method-of-eliminate-your-marks

Post a Comment